Lampeter is the market town for northern Carmarthenshire and south-east Ceredigion. There are shops, restaurants and plenty of places to stay.
In 1822 Bishop Burgess founded a college here to train young men for the Anglican priesthood. The idea was that they would go on to work in Welsh-speaking communities so it was better for them to be trained in Wales.
The photo of the University buildings (and a medieval motte) is by Howard Williams: see his blog.