Saundersfoot is now a pretty little seaside resort, somewhere between the family-beach holiday, the yachting & fishing port and the hippy-surf haven. It has three good bakeries, a shop selling surfing and walking gear, a good greengrocer’s, all the usual craft, antique and beach shops, the fish restaurants, the pubs and cafés. In the nineteenth century, though, it was a busy industrial port. The Saundersfoot Railway and Harbour Company was formed in 1829, and soon there were five jetties taking coal from Begelly, Bonville’s Court, Thomas Chapel and Stepaside, and iron from Wiseman’s Bridge. An incline plane ran down the hill from Bonville’s Court and a tramroad along the coast from Wiseman’s Bridge. The Strand, now the main shopping street, was called Railway Street. There were blacksmiths, iron foundries and several shipbuilders.