Grid reference on route: SS 80112 86528
This little chapel, dedicated to St Mary, was built by the monks of Margam for the benefit of their tenants. The style of the west window dates it to about 1300 but the east window is in the Perpendicular style of the fifteenth century. The chapel is in a roughly circular enclosure, suggesting that it may be on the site of an older church, and some burials (unfortunately not dated) have been found in the enclosure.
In the later Middle Ages there was a famous statue of the Virgin Mary here and pilgrims came to see it, though it was never as well-known as the one at Penrhys. After the Reformation, the chapel was used by local Catholics, who worshipped here in secret.