Grid point on route: SS 80735 95480
Capel Gyfylchi, above Afan Argoed, was a chapel of ease, an outlying church of the large parish of Michaelston-super-Afan. It was probably medieval in origin. By the mid-eighteenth century it was in ruins, but it was rebuilt in 1775 by a local Anglican clergyman of Methodist sympathies. It was an important local centre of the Methodist movement until it was replaced by a new chapel in Pontrhydyfen in 1826.