Walking along the canal towpath near Llangollen

Horseshoe Falls

Not a waterfall but a triumph of engineering.

St James: medieval stained glass in Llandysilio church

This is not a natural waterfall but a weir, built by the great engineer Thomas Telford in 1806 to supply water to the Llangollen branch of the Shropshire Union Canal.

The nearby Llandysilio Church is a pretty fifteenth-century building with a medieval stained glass window depicting St James, patron saint of pilgrims. He wears a broad-brimmed walker’s hat and he has a scallop shell on his shoulder-bag.

Places to horseshoe falls

Places

© Cistercian Way / Privacy Policy